The Memoirs of Jacques Silo

Saturday 31 August 2013
October 31st, 1774
     Silence, that is my world. I cannot speak, I cannot hear, I cannot see, I cannot smell, I cannot touch, I cannot feel but I do have a story. I wasn't always like this; in some ways I am better now than I was before. Back then I was an inarticulate, burden to society, passed on from school to school, patronized by teachers because I was the antonym of genius. They disciplined me, coddled me- yet neither method worked. They gave me medication, hoping that I would at least achieve average intelligence within my lifespan. I disappointed everyone, as I had my father when it was revealed that I was conceived a bastard, and not his.

     I was a simple fellow; whether they abused me, misused me or attempted to care for me, I did not care. I was too stupid to understand that I was a leech to the people forced to take care of me- an amusement at best. They would say I had no brain, as if they had discovered a theory of substance through their own perserverance- but for a society of prodigies, I thought it pretty stupid that they thought a man who could at the very least speak, would have no brain (In later years I would discover that when people said that I had no brain, it was not literal but a reference to the limited faculties of my brain).

     One evening, I sat in a dull classroom, alone with my inherent stupidity, waiting for my lunch to be served to me. Lunch was as usual a tasteless ham sandwich- apparently being stupid meant that my tastebuds were seemingly desensitized. After this I would take my medication, a white pill. Yet this day was different; the pill had a glazed look as if I was swallowing a snowflake. I was to stupid to care what I put into my body, and so the simpleton took the pill that would earn him ham sandwiches with other condiments that were sure to tease my apparent tasteless tastebuds.

     The changes in myself were instantaneous. I was able to articulate, calculate and validate anything I chose. The world was mine. It took me seconds to realize that my intelligence had increased a thousandfold or more accurately, my brain was at full use (ironically, it was my newfound intelligence that led me to such a conclusion).

     I did not waste any time in utilizing my potential. It would take me years of work to summarize the great things I have done since the summer I turned 21. I will mention two of my greatest accomplishments but I will wait a moment. My intelligence is waning but my flair for the dramatic is not.

...

     I did extensive research on the seemingly innocuous pill that I swallowed and I soon realized it had side-effects, which I am experiencing right now. Silence, that is my world. I cannot speak, I cannot hear, I cannot see, I cannot smell, I cannot touch, I cannot feel but I do have my story.

     My intelligence is flickering, my brilliance not as bright as it once was when the candle was lit all those years ago. As this thieving pill robs me of my senses, it will take away my intelligence until I become a mere shell of what I once was. Soon all that leaves my mouth will be the innane words of a man who was once 21.

     In these last moments, I shall divulge my other great accomplishment to you. It is a secret I have guarded all these years ... time travel. See I have had a great life but as I sit here, aged 35, I have one regret: I won't be able to finish my memoirs. I shall go back 14 years in time and in 14 years time, I will return to continue this memoir. When I return, I will have summarized the 14 years I have just spent as a brilliant, Jacques Silo.


- Jacques Silo

0 comments:

Post a Comment